Hudson Valley Reef Keepers
May 29, 2017, 09:22:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our forums.

Home   Homepage Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Cultivated Reef
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 30 breeder. New system.  (Read 12360 times)
mrlobster
Trade Count: (0)
« on: December 27, 2010, 10:24:07 AM »

Hi all. Haven't been on in awhile and thought I would share with you my new build.

I haven't decided if I want to move everything from my 29 gallon into the new system or keep two tanks running. We will see when the time comes. I also haven't purchased all my equipment yet so it will be a slow build but so far I have what you see in the pictures. Let me know what you all think. Dancin'

Drilled 30 breeder

20 long sump with refugium (13watt 6500k bulb, standard Lowe's Clamp On fixture)

For lighting I'm thinking: 3 BoostLED lights: two 3 blue 2 white 60degree optics, one all royal blue (for dusk/dawn effect)

For skimmer I'm thinking: Octopus Skimmer from BRS

Deluxe Dual Carbon/GFO Reactor from BRS

For rock I'm thinking: 50lbs Florida Reef Rock from Reefcleaners

For return I'm thinking: Mag 5 return pump

Still debating on either the Reefkeeper Lite or AquaController JR.

Still debating on which heater also.

For substrate I'm thinking: 1-2 inch Aragonite sand bed.

For H2o I'm thinking: 75 GPD RO/DI from BRS

Two Hydor Koralia Evolution 750gph powerheads

Custom built stand

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Corals are Softies and LPS... definitely not ready for SPS yet but maybe in the future with this tank. As you all know I'm still very new to corals and SW in general.

I wanted to test out Metal Halide but can for see some heat issues with such a shallow tank. I'll test out LED as it's still a new technology and hopefully it works out. BoostLED have good reviews so far and are fairly affordable. I also love the shimmer! I may also try to build a hood so I can retrofit some moonlights and keep everything clean looking but we will see after I get things going. Wish me luck and I will try to keep you all updated!
white trash
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+9)
Grouper

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:37:55 AM »

I'll be interested in seeing how well the LEDs work out for you.

My guess is you're going to end up running two tanks.  cheeky
mrlobster
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 10:58:12 AM »

You're probably right! I just hate to tear down the other tank... I've been keeping my hands out of it and just letting nature run it's course. Besides my damn toadstool refusing to open lately everything seems to be doing awesome!
nine9d
Trigger
Trade Count: (+6)
Moray Eel

Member of ASC. (Acro Snob Club!)

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 11:02:19 AM »

Haven't saw how the dual reactors work but I do know that carbon and stuff like phosban have very different flow requirements. Anyone try the equipment he is "reef"ering too? LOL - Corny, I know.

I love the smell of fresh acro's! Really.
mrlobster
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 11:28:41 AM »

Haven't saw how the dual reactors work but I do know that carbon and stuff like phosban have very different flow requirements. Anyone try the equipment he is "reef"ering too? LOL - Corny, I know.

Here is a video explaining it a bit better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODZPFlJLopk&playnext=1&list=PL8350EA2B021B21F0&index=67
nine9d
Trigger
Moray Eel

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 01:51:36 PM »

After reviewing the video (thanks for the link), I'd rather get 2 separate Phosban units and run them independently, but that is just me. The units look big and bulky and with the dual, you really can't control the flow as you would be able to in the singles.

mrlobster
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 06:35:40 PM »

After reviewing the video (thanks for the link), I'd rather get 2 separate Phosban units and run them independently, but that is just me. The units look big and bulky and with the dual, you really can't control the flow as you would be able to in the singles.

I got it with GFO in mind. It is quite bulky and built like a tank. I have a maxi jet 1200 to run it.
tony t
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+1)
Angler

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 07:34:07 PM »

Thanks for the link, seems like there marketing ro  prefilters  as reacters,? I was hoping to see the link with them actually running gfo. Also Is there any way just to buy the chamber that goes inside the housing? good luck with the build.!

26 reef, 120 salt water fish only, 220 fresh
nine9d
Trigger
Moray Eel

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 09:31:38 PM »

I would like to see them working also with media inside.

tony t
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+1)
Angler

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 09:53:29 PM »

I went to there site and saw that you can just buy the actual tumbling unit that goes inside a standard  Scratch RO prefilter separatly.

26 reef, 120 salt water fish only, 220 fresh
mrlobster
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 10:08:41 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwfuo7OIosQ

I knew there was a video that showed it being used.
kcstoker1
Amateur Reefers Anonymous
Grouper

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 10:59:16 AM »

I have a Dual reactor now running Carbon and Phosban.  As long as they don't get too clogged, it goes well.  I'm using a Maxi 900 to run them and if they get clogged the PH quits.  I tried a 1200 but the flow was too much once it got to the Phosban chamber.

Not a huge fan of the current setup, I am thinking about switching over to another media.  George is running one of them and having success with it (and I can't remember the name...), but I've seen a few other members post about their media as well.  I'll do some more research before I settle on one, though.
Amoore311
~Captain Charisma~
Trade Count: (+2)
Trigger

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 11:38:20 AM »

Pelletized GFO will require less maintenance in regards to clogging.  The down side is that it is not nearly as efficient in removing Phosphates as the granular stuff (less surface area).

The pelletized stuff also won't cake together, which is a fairly common problem with the granular stuff.  Too much flow and you will grind it into dust, to little and it will cake up like a brick and be completely useless.

29 Gallon Biocube, Steves LED Retrofit, inTank Media & Fuge Baskets, Apex Controlled
mrlobster
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 10:48:37 AM »

Plumbing is finished. Lights are mounted. Background is painted.

Should have water in it by the end of the month. Went out and picked up an American DJ power strip to get things started. Now I'm debating between the Reef Keeper Lite or Reef Angel controller. Also waiting on one more track head to mount the third LED once Lowe's has them in stock.

Some of you may remember my original 29 gallon. It's over a year old now and doing great! I wish I had a better camera because it really looks a lot better in person. Need new T5 bulbs and I'm going to go with ATI and plan on putting one of those blue LED strips on it eventually.

BoostLED PAR 30 bulbs over top existing tank just for fun.

white trash
HVRK Member
Grouper

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 12:04:22 PM »

I have a RKL (entry level with just 4 outlets) and love it FWIW. I run my lights, heater, and cooling fan on the RKL and have all my pumps on a power strip hooked up to a light switch so I can shut down all the pumps in one fell swoop.

Also don't forget there's going to be a raffle for a RKL at the May meeting for dues paying members if you want to take a shot at it. 

Looks like the tank is coming along nicely.
mrlobster
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 12:14:23 AM »

Rock was delivered today. This is roughly how it will look. Both sides have a large cave.

Opinions?

white trash
HVRK Member
Grouper

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 10:00:14 AM »

I think that'll look great. It'll keep an open feel to the tank.
kcstoker1
Amateur Reefers Anonymous
Grouper

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 10:47:20 AM »

Tank looks great, MrLobster.

Thanks for posting the pics and keep them coming.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the dual reactor after you've run it for a while.  After the clogging issues I was having, I got in touch with TBAquatics, where I got mine.  They suggested to upgrade to the MaxiJet 1200 and adjust the flow at the output of the second unit.  Their thoughts were that the 900 wouldn't be able to keep up over time.

So I bought a MJ1200 and it seemed to ok.  After about a month I decided to go in and clean it out.  Since I was about to treat my tank with Interceptor it was a good time to clean it.  Pulled it all out, cleaned it all.  Treated the tank and after the 12 hours treatment time was up, it was time to run carbon.  Except MJ1200 didn't come back on...  I don't know what the deal is, but that's a MJ900 and a MJ1200, in the same application, that both repeatedly failed to restart.  Perhaps there's a back-pressure issue the dual unit puts back on the pump?  I don't really know.

After plugging the 1200 in daily, for a week, to see if it was working and no results, I gave up.  Last night, after my second Interceptor treatment, it finally kicked back in.  So it's running now, but I'm still not entirely pleased with the flow through the two reactors.

All this to say that I am considering running GAC in both chambers at this point and getting another reactor for GFO.

That has been my experience with the dual reactor... I hope you fare better.
mrlobster
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »

One step closer.

I'm letting the RO/DI run for awhile and hoping to get 0 TDS. My tap is over 500 TDS (YIKES!)... Once I get that sorted out I'll fill the tank.

My camera phone doesn't capture the color of the LED's very well. They are BRIGHT and have a 14k look to them. Mixed with the blue background I think it looks phenominal. For livestock I'm going to go with a Maroon clown and Bangii Cardinal pair. I should have plenty of room for corals on the rock work!
wagerja
The DON!
Moray Eel

What R you lookin At!

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 09:45:26 AM »

yeah those lights are cool... where did you get them? and how much?

J

"sometimes that squeaky wheel is a great thing, and other times it's just annoying"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: