Hudson Valley Reef Keepers
May 25, 2017, 05:51:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our forums.

Home   Homepage Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Cultivated Reef
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 30 breeder. New system.  (Read 12342 times)
nine9d
Trigger
Trade Count: (+6)
Moray Eel

Member of ASC. (Acro Snob Club!)

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 09:55:04 AM »

500 TDS is not actually that bad at all bud. I've seen some shocking TDS numbers before.

The setup does look good. Are you planning on putting any sand in there? There really isn't a need for all of that eggcrate, you could put the rock right on the glass.

I love the smell of fresh acro's! Really.
mrlobster
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 11:40:24 PM »

500 TDS is not actually that bad at all bud. I've seen some shocking TDS numbers before.

The setup does look good. Are you planning on putting any sand in there? There really isn't a need for all of that eggcrate, you could put the rock right on the glass.

The Mighty Mite is giving me 0 TDS! I'll have sand going in after I get it all filled up and mix the salt and RO/DI water (I'm doing the mixing in the tank itself).

I've read negatives and positives about the egg crate. I can still take it out as it's not too late. I'm on the fence now!
mrlobster
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 12:07:53 AM »

The Mighty Mite is giving me 0 TDS! I'll have sand going in after I get it all filled up and mix the salt and RO/DI water (I'm doing the mixing in the tank itself).

I've read negatives and positives about the egg crate. I can still take it out as it's not too late. I'm on the fence now!

After I posted I decided to just get the egg crate out of there!
mrlobster
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 12:11:30 AM »

yeah those lights are cool... where did you get them? and how much?

BoostLED.com - they are about $70 each piece.

Mine are 3 blue 2 white 60 degree. The track heads are $10 each and the track is about $11... the wiring and what not runs about another $10 or so (I don't really remember). Then however you plan on hanging the fixture over your tank of course, we used PVC pipe.
nine9d
Trigger
Moray Eel

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 09:07:53 AM »

HA! Too funny bro. 0TDS is where it's at man.

I was going to suggest you could also cut down the eggcrate if you are worried about putting the rock on the glass and make much smaller squares for the rock to sit on. No need for the large sheet. I never had eggcrate in my old setup and had no problems. In my new setup, I had tall structures that I build so I mad small squares for them to rest on. Either way it goes on preference. It's turning out nice already though bud, keep up the good work.

mrlobster
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 05:22:06 PM »

Finally got the tank filled with RO/DI water.

Come to find out a Mag 5 is too strong and my overflow couldn't keep up. So we installed a T with two valves. I can now control the flow with no back pressure to the return pump. So far it's working like a charm!

I put the salt in and I'm giving it 24 hours to mix and to get the temperature at 80. Then I'll check salinity and raise it to where I need it. I purposely went low as I find this will be easier to correct seeing as how the water level is close to where I want it.

I wanted to mix the water before I put sand in the tank... It just made more sense to me. This is how I did it with my last tank as well. I'm hoping 20lbs will be enough and won't displace too much of the water. We shall see.

Either way, the system is running! Give it a few weeks to cycle and in the meantime I have to order a skimmer!  Whoo Hoo
Anemone1
Angelfish

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 07:32:24 AM »

Those are nice rocks... the bommie look is great. 

Trigger fan
mrlobster
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 10:45:23 PM »

New pictures!  WOOT!

The tank has been cycling with some food and a nice piece of live rock from my other tank.

I'm going to order the skimmer this week...

I really have to say these BoostLED lamps are incredible. Also, the customer service from BoostLED is top notch. Anyone considering their product go for it!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you notice the white shims under the tank they are there to level it obviously. I'll be painting them black.
white trash
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+9)
Grouper

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »

That aquascape looks great.
mrlobster
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 11:21:30 AM »

That aquascape looks great.

Thanks!
nine9d
Trigger
Moray Eel

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 12:29:38 PM »

In the voice of Forrest Gump: "I like it alot Jenny!"

mrlobster
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2011, 01:19:50 PM »

Just pulled the trigger on the SWC BMK 150 protein skimmer! I figured it was the best choice considering the space I have in my sump and my overall budget.

I'll post some pictures when I receive it.  Dancin'
mrlobster
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »

kcstoker1
Amateur Reefers Anonymous
Grouper

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »

Sweet little setup.  Nice work!
nine9d
Trigger
Moray Eel

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 04:11:41 PM »

Looks awesome bro!

taz_12777
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+1)
Trigger

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 11:21:55 PM »

WOW

Set up looks real nice. If you were a member you could have entered your Full Tank Shot pic for a chance to win a nice prize (Yes I know it's a shameless plug to become a member, but hay what can I say that's my job).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:54:42 PM by taz_12777 » Logged

2013 President of HVRK
2012 President of HVRK
2011 President of HVRK
2009 Membership Director of HVRK
mrlobster
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2011, 11:38:34 AM »

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'll continue to post pics as the tank grows.
Anemone1
Angelfish

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2011, 10:07:33 PM »

I like it, man, can't wait to see it fill out a little bit. Quite clever, "bommie" style rockwork. 

Trigger fan
mrlobster
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 10:55:48 PM »

Hello everyone. The tank in this thread is no longer. I've had some serious life changes and needed to take the tank apart to make room. If anyone is interested in the tank and sump they are for sale. No stand, or equipment. Best offer? I'm not sure what used tanks go for. Both could use a real good vinegar bath. No leaks and they make a great nano set up! I'm located in Saugerties, NY. If interested please email me I need them gone ASAP. escapefromdominion@yahoo.com

I'm also going to post an ad in the selling/trading section of the forum. I hope that is OK.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: