Hudson Valley Reef Keepers
July 26, 2017, 10:31:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our forums.

Home   Homepage Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Cultivated Reef
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: DIY screen frame for aquarium netting  (Read 3145 times)
Chessmanmark
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+4)
Moray Eel

« on: August 15, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »

The other day I was on BRS looking through their misc. category and saw materials to build a screen frame to hold netting.  Since I was in HD today I walked over to where the doors are.  I picked up the materials I needed for $8.50.  All I need now is the netting.  I've lost every wrasse I've ever bought because sooner or later they jump.  The last few years I have avoided this spectacular fish but with this simple DIY hopefully the fish will stay in the tank.  I might even get a hawk fish as well.

The screen frame corners were $1.19.  BRS sells them for $5.99.
6' of frame costs $3.66.  BRS sells them at $3.99 for 2'.

Here are a couple of pics.

I need to order the netting.  Anyone have any left over from a previous project?  I'm also curious what other people have used.  BRS sells 1/4" and 1/2" netting.

A great many threats face reef environments.  An informed marine aquarist can be part of the solution, not a contributor to the problem.
Previous build:
http://hvreef.org/yabb/index.php?topic=9806.0
Po-Vegas
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 02:27:34 PM »

I would say the 1/2" would be better for light penetration because if the holes are half the size it means twice as much netting, besides a fish would probably have to make a pretty precise jump to get out a 1/2" hole
Linda C.
Trade Count: (+3)
Grouper

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:39:04 PM »

I just got mine for 85 cents a square foot...shipped for $5.  It was from a guy on RC who posted how to build them..he bought a HUGE roll and bulk and is willing to sell it to other reefers. 

If you want, you can contact Dave (the guy who posted the build) to see how much he has left.  If you are getting some lmk.  I will split shipping with you.

grim1214@bellsouth.net

FISHES!!!
Amoore311
~Captain Charisma~
Trade Count: (+2)
Trigger

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »

The netting is clear Todd.  It doesn't block any light at all.  I ran a couple tests with a borrowed par meter on my 180 w/ and without the mesh over it, not appreciable difference in light penetration at all.

I actually got my mesh from the same guy Linda did.  I'll post up here after I make my screen top if I have any left.

29 Gallon Biocube, Steves LED Retrofit, inTank Media & Fuge Baskets, Apex Controlled
AirportFF
Mantis Shrimp

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:34:48 AM »

Not to knock your work. But those corners should be mitered. Those nylon corners may crack or twist taking it on and off because there isn't enough support. I was a glazier for a few years. If you want to get me the materials and dimensions I can make one up for you.

Rich976usaf
Tang

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 12:12:51 AM »

I built a screen for my tank. I got the 1/2 inch from BRS and I dont think a fish could fit through, maybe if you had an octopus it could open the lid. I can notice a slight color change whith the screen on the tank, it looks a little whiter going thru the mesh.
Chessmanmark
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+4)
Moray Eel

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 01:47:35 PM »

This week I took this screen frame apart and made it better.  I originally used this thick plastic framing.  This time I picked up the aluminum framing which is better.  It looks better and locks into the black plastic frame at the top of my tank.  I made two smaller frames this time because I have a center brace.  Then I made another one for my 20 long.  The 20 long I made shorter than the length of the tank for my HOB filter and cut some egg crate for that section.  I worry that it may rust over time, however the framing was so cheap that I can always just buy new framing when that time comes.

The one problem I see with these frames that snap in snug is how to deal with equipment with wires, and I also have a return that comes over the back of my tank.  I made the right side frame about an inch smaller from front to back to accommodate wires.

I wish I could post a picture but my camera no longer synchs to my computer.  I'm very happy with this project.  It looks very finished. 

I received some new fish today.  Two were previous jumpers, a fairy wrasse, a red spotted blenny and a copper banded butterfly.  I'm concerned about the butterfly because it is pretty small.  I have them in a QT right now.  The netting will keep them in the tank.  Hopefully they will survive the territorial wars from the established fish.

A great many threats face reef environments.  An informed marine aquarist can be part of the solution, not a contributor to the problem.
Previous build:
http://hvreef.org/yabb/index.php?topic=9806.0
mets17127
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »

I drilled a big hole in the edge of the aluminum frame for wire
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: