Hudson Valley Reef Keepers
August 18, 2017, 10:26:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our forums.

Home   Homepage Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Air, Water & Ice
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tank pics - year 13 and counting  (Read 9602 times)
fish_guy_brian
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 05:14:06 PM »

Looks great. Love the equipment setup.
Hammer
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 09:17:16 PM »

Tank looks great!  Keep up the good work!
twan
Angler

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 09:27:20 AM »

Sleek, mature, amazing.  Is the stand/enclosure a TonyT special?

rhdoug
HVRK Member
Tang

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 10:25:46 AM »

Thanks for all the nice comments on the tank. I have been very happy with the way the tank has matured, but of course there have been ups and downs. In 2005 I had a heater break in the sump and electrocute all the fish. The corals seemed unaffected, but I lost my breeding pair of maroon clowns, I still miss them. The night after the "Great Heater Wipeout" the anemone performed what I believe was a stress-induced spawn, and clouded the tank to the point you couldn't see to the back glass. He has since spawned once or twice, nothing ever seemed affected by that event. I replaced the maroons with a pair of ocellaris, and they have been spawning regularly since sometime in 2007. I tried running a turf scrubber for a little over a year starting in 2009. It worked well for several months, but a variety of factors, mostly because of an underlit and under-sized screen, eventually put the tank in sad shape. I lost a few corals and gained a good amount of algae. Once I put the skimmer back on line the tank slowly returned to normal. I also installed a GFO reactor in the sump. It took the better part of a year for all the algae to subside and the corals to get back to their former selves. I would run a turf scrubber again if I had the room to do it correctly.

I am not even sure what to call the woodwork around the tank so I just call it the cabinet. Tony T did look at the project but decided not to tackle it. I found a Leonard who has a company called "OLD BEDFORD FINE CUSTOM CARPENTRY" on craigslist. We discussed what I wanted, and I had done some pretty detailed 3D renderings of what I wanted it to look like. He built it off-site and then came and installed it around the tank. It was a little nerve-wracking to see a guy with big pieces of carpentry and tools working around the tank for two days. I think he did a great job, and it made a huge difference in the time it takes to do water changes. There is nothing fancy in the way of tank equipment, everything is run by simple timers.

It's always more fun with pics, so here are a few growth shots of the yellow turbinaria.

2004:

2008:

2012 -- looks greener due to lights being changed from 10k to 14k.

--Randy

58 Gallon mixed reef set up in 1999, mostly LPS. Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 250W MH/PC light.
nine9d
Trigger
Trade Count: (+6)
Moray Eel

Member of ASC. (Acro Snob Club!)

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 12:20:27 PM »

Went over Randy's the other day and took some pics and a vid of his tank, check it out!

http://youtu.be/SHJ7pjbEXHg

I love the smell of fresh acro's! Really.
frank
Mantis Shrimp

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 01:23:09 PM »

Wow thats a hot tank dude.love it!!!!
Hammer
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 05:30:41 PM »

Great tank pix and awesome video.  I have a frag of his hammer coral and it is doing awesome and split a few times already.  Are those Blasto's on the bottom (red polyps coming out of the sand)?
They are really cool looking.
Hammer
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 05:35:39 PM »

Looks like I missed the post outlining that the red things are branching lobos.  Keep that tank looking' great
rhdoug
HVRK Member
Tang

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 10:44:42 PM »

Hey how you doing Hammer. How bout of pic of the hammer,... Hammer? cheeky

--Randy

58 Gallon mixed reef set up in 1999, mostly LPS. Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 250W MH/PC light.
Radix
Mantis Shrimp

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 08:27:28 AM »

Those branching lobo's are really cool, I haven't seen them before
J77
Chromis

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2013, 07:09:02 PM »

Sick
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print