Hudson Valley Reef Keepers
August 18, 2017, 10:27:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our forums.

Home   Homepage Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Air, Water & Ice
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: updated pics  (Read 19117 times)
mr.msalty
Trade Count: (0)
Grouper

YOU DIRTY DOG

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 08:40:47 PM »

Ross, I had one that did great for a while then faded away. That was a long time ago. I ask on the big boards about them about two times per year. Seems they do well for people, going from one to many, then they all disappear. ORA has a blue cespit now that I'm going to try at some point.
nine9d
Trigger
Trade Count: (+6)
Moray Eel

Member of ASC. (Acro Snob Club!)

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 08:55:16 PM »

Ross, I had one that did great for a while then faded away. That was a long time ago. I ask on the big boards about them about two times per year. Seems they do well for people, going from one to many, then they all disappear. ORA has a blue cespit now that I'm going to try at some point.

When I kept it I had it for a long time. I believe it was the ORA one because I would frag the heck out of that thing and it was very resilient. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for some.

I love the smell of fresh acro's! Really.
sponge
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+1)
Angelfish

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 09:13:29 PM »

For the forum suffers,this is the ORA Blue Cespitularia http://www.orafarm.com/products/softcoral/ora/blue-cespitularia/
ssdawood
Chromis

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 01:58:28 PM »

I want one, Who has it.  WOOT!
mets17127
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 02:10:41 PM »

I'm ordering one, I'll frag it ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sponge
HVRK Member
Angelfish

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 12:13:27 AM »

Many changes have gone on in the 46 over the past year .Here's a couple of new ones
sponge
HVRK Member
Angelfish

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 10:00:29 AM »

Needed to move things around in the 46. Although it was a nice piece of coral when I got it,and easy to keep.The Xenia had spreed onto many of rocks,and choked out some Blue Hornets .you can see the beginning in my last post. I'm going to replace those.

Some new shots
tony t
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 11:30:20 PM »

Thanks for sharing

26 reef, 120 salt water fish only, 220 fresh
white trash
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+9)
Grouper

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 03:27:09 PM »

How's the big tank doing?
Chessmanmark
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+4)
Moray Eel

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2015, 12:13:44 PM »

Very nice Benny.

A great many threats face reef environments.  An informed marine aquarist can be part of the solution, not a contributor to the problem.
Previous build:
http://hvreef.org/yabb/index.php?topic=9806.0
rhdoug
HVRK Member
Tang

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 09:01:23 PM »

Looking good Benny

--Randy

58 Gallon mixed reef set up in 1999, mostly LPS. Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 250W MH/PC light.
sponge
HVRK Member
Angelfish

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 08:18:27 PM »

I started looking into what type of clam I have.I had swapped a light fixture with Stan a while back(24 in. Wavepoint) for it. I went onto R2R and this is what I found . T. squamosa is often confused with T. maxima when trying to ID from the mantle. Their color variation is very similar although T. squamosa is more commonly seen in gold, purple, green or brown and very very rare to see a blue one. They also have quite a pronounced fringe around the incurrent siphon. Other clams have this but not nearly as pronounced as the T. squamosa. They top out at a max size of about 20 inches.

This is a pic of my clam

This clam has been with me in my 46 since September,2013 . I run a HOB refugium . With a 4 bulb t5 . I have not doze a thing since about 2004 . I do not run a skimmer . I do do water changes, and I'm in need to contact AWI for some new filters . I have had good luck with a wide variety of coral;until I do something stupid . For me it was introducing a not so friendly plastic egg crate light fixture ; and removing almost all the rock that had been in this tank since day one.  yell1 yell1 yell1 yell1 that Xenia for over taking my rock.

tony t
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 08:28:58 PM »

Nice size clam

26 reef, 120 salt water fish only, 220 fresh
sponge
HVRK Member
Angelfish

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2015, 08:42:08 AM »

Thanks Tony. It occupies almost half of the tank;the other half of the tank is one big rock. This pic if from a while ago.I've noticed the growth of the clam .
scarecrow
Chromis

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2015, 09:33:30 AM »

Benny, i have no idea how you keep zoas so well.  Its the one coral that has never thrived in any of my tanks.  Even when i have sps basing over my rock the zoas just kind of sit in limbo.  Wonderful shots!  Have another get together sometime!  Id love to see how that fish room is coming along

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords, is no basis for a system of government!
kcstoker1
Amateur Reefers Anonymous
Grouper

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2015, 03:06:52 PM »

I can't keep zoas either.  Stopped trying a couple years ago.

Benny, things look great.  I need to come up and see your 220 one of these days.
sponge
HVRK Member
Angelfish

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2015, 09:27:39 AM »

Believe me ,I've lost my share of Zoa's . Some just shriveled up after a short time in the tank. Some have been attacked by asterina stars ,or gobbled up by Xenia.

Once this tank established it's own parameters ; it became more of a ease for me to have just about any coral do well . What I mean is this .When I got stared in this hobby,I sucked ! I did keep freshwater at one time,but wanted to switch to salt . My 30L is now used to keep a pair of clowns ,and the original rock from my 46.Xenia creep is what made me move all my rock over .

I have kept a very simple set up on this non reef ready tank .I went from a Eheim canister filter to a Hang on the back refugium. Changed my lights from a t8 single bulb to a t5 four bulb light fixture. Switched out crushed coral ,for live sand;and added more live rock . But the most brilliant thing I did was invest in my own RO/DI unit .

I do not test my water for anything ,or use a skimmer on this tank . Back when I was floundering in my new hobby,there was this shop on the second floor in Wappingers Falls .I would go in there and hear the guy ask just about everyone "How's your water" , and "bring some in and have it tested". What I learned from that is do water changes on a regular basis.  That's what I try to do on this tank . I have come to watch on how the corals look,to know that I've put off on a water change.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:35:38 AM by sponge » Logged
mets17127
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2015, 11:20:14 AM »

That place was funny.  Owned by the tattooz forever guy, and like a true hobbyist he had some crazy stuff, like a dogface puffer the size of a dog, a shark pond, and a nautilus
sponge
HVRK Member
Angelfish

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 01:45:09 PM »

My kids loved the shark pond there.  Boy that was many years ago.
mets17127
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 03:49:29 PM »

He used to maintain the tank at my last job for a while
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: