Hudson Valley Reef Keepers
May 25, 2017, 05:49:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our forums.

Home   Homepage Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Air, Water & Ice
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: My Red Dragon and couple pieces from Mark.  (Read 4270 times)
ssdawood
Trade Count: (0)
Chromis

« on: February 16, 2014, 06:11:03 PM »

Here is my Red Dragon that I got from Copps.

It is kept in the bottom corner to have it under low light. This is the coral that makes me nervous. I am so scared of it dying on me. I don't know why. Any other coral I am fine and actually I am rough with them. I move them all the time. This coral I dare not touch, I don't even look at it. lol

This is one of the pieces Mark gave me. I need an identification for it. No idea what it is. It is a very fast grower and has encrusted on the bottom. When I got it, it did not have the florescence green. I am kind of loving the green on it.

I also don't know the name of it. This also came from Mark. See the tips are al going purple. Fast grower too and coloring up beautiful. Thanks Mark.

As soon as these two pieces grow, I will frag them and distribute to any one that wants them. It was Marks idea to spread it around in different tanks. I also think these are hardy corals so newcomers can easily take a chance.
Chessmanmark
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+4)
Moray Eel

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:02:29 PM »

The monti is a Spongodes from Chris.  The acro is a Tri-Color Valida from Pete.  All tank raised and hardy.

A great many threats face reef environments.  An informed marine aquarist can be part of the solution, not a contributor to the problem.
Previous build:
http://hvreef.org/yabb/index.php?topic=9806.0
mr.msalty
Grouper

YOU DIRTY DOG

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 09:37:46 PM »

Kewl! Pink dragons are on my wants list.
kcstoker1
Amateur Reefers Anonymous
Grouper

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:40:07 PM »

Great to see the Spongodes getting around.  It's a great coral, very tough.  My experience with it has shown it to be very resilient.  It will probably bounce back soon. 

Red Dragon looks nice, too.  Maybe time to make room for more pieces...
Chessmanmark
HVRK Member
Moray Eel

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 11:07:09 PM »

Great to see the Spongodes getting around.  It's a great coral, very tough.  My experience with it has shown it to be very resilient.  It will probably bounce back soon. 

Red Dragon looks nice, too.  Maybe time to make room for more pieces...

I gave Arthur a piece of it last weekend so it is getting around the club.  Well done Chris.

A great many threats face reef environments.  An informed marine aquarist can be part of the solution, not a contributor to the problem.
Previous build:
nine9d
Trigger
Trade Count: (+6)
Moray Eel

Member of ASC. (Acro Snob Club!)

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 08:33:51 AM »

I just wish the red dragon was really red. From all the pics I've seen it really doesn't look it at all. Can anyone verify the color?

I love the smell of fresh acro's! Really.
mr.msalty
Grouper

YOU DIRTY DOG

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »

It's all a lineage thing, mostly defended by those wanting $$$, just like the OT. Scott Fellman and others, not including the imposters, sell a nice pink one without lineage for about half price.
ssdawood
Chromis

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 12:56:37 PM »

It's all a lineage thing, mostly defended by those wanting $$$, just like the OT. Scott Fellman and others, not including the imposters, sell a nice pink one without lineage for about half price.

I do care about lineage but not because of money. Copps is like a big personality for me in reef keeping. I have seen his tanks on youtube and personally admire the effort and dedication. Believe it or not that two inch piece of red dragon was only 50 bucks from Copps. You cant find that price even from impostors. So I do kinda believe that I have to let people know that Red dragon came from Copps tank. Also Copps told me it is original CITR. I dont know what it means and didnt care. Just that it came from copps tanks was enough for me.

Take Mark for example, he gave me some pieces. Now when I sell any frags or give it away, I will let people know it came from Mark's tank. See he is also a kind of local celebrity. Have a SPS tank like that takes dedication and work and thats the reason not many tanks we see come even close.

So yes I am kinda bragging it came from Copps but not because I paid too much, It is because Copps is well known and has contributed a lot to hobby.

ssdawood
Chromis

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 12:59:31 PM »

Just assuming that because I am stating a name, I must have overpaid it kinda insulting. I would like to know what is the correct price for this kinda coral.
nine9d
Trigger
Trade Count: (+6)
Moray Eel

Member of ASC. (Acro Snob Club!)

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 01:14:37 PM »

Also Copps told me it is original CITR. I dont know what it means and didnt care. Just that it came from copps tanks was enough for me.

ssdawood, CITR is Coral in the Reef, that is where the original colony came from (actually obtained from Reef Raft USA). It lends to know where the original colony came from as to know you are getting something that you paid for. There is no right or wrong price for anything you buy. If you got what you wanted and you were satisfied in what you paid, it really doesn't matter anything. But Copps prices are fair, so you should feel great!

I understand it is a lineage thing, but lineage is more then just a name. Lineage also somewhat guarantees that with good tank parameters, you too can have a coral that ends up looking like this. Coloration, shape, size, growth rate, etc... Copps is one of the many hobbyist that sells corals for great prices so many can purchase them. I appreciate the things that Scott and others are doing to try to get nice pricing on corals. At the same time, Scott resell's ORA stuff that is higher in markup from what I remember, and I also understand it's a business, so this he must do. But did you just see the pricing that Absolute gave us on the ORA order, it was phenomenal. When I make a purchase, the cost doesn't honestly matter to me, nor does the name, I just want to know I'm getting what I paid for. I would purchase from any vendor or hobbyist if I like what I see.

In saying that, people do buy corals for the name and there's nothing wrong with that. This is everyday life. For myself and corals, I rather know when a coral has been in circulation and traded amongst many tanks, one can usually say, this is the colors, shape, size it can receive under proper tank conditions.

All of that to say, I don't see true red, that's why I was asking, whoever has this, is it truly red? HA!

I love the smell of fresh acro's! Really.
ssdawood
Chromis

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »

I have heard it gets darker with low light. Can't be my tank because I have a lot of light. Even Copps pics showed pink. So I dont think its a lineage think at all. I think it depends on the light given to coral.
Chessmanmark
HVRK Member
Moray Eel

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 01:51:10 PM »

http://www.reeffarmers.com/limitedreddragon.htm
The Red Dragon not only grows well, but it only requires weak light conditions. And on top of all that the coral develops a solid distinct red purple pigmentation. The color and growth form were used to develop this corals captive marketing name, Red Dragon. Polyps also develop solid white pigmentation in addition to all the above.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/sanjay-reminds-us-why-we-love-red-dragon-acropora-so-much
This Acropora has a color and growth pattern that is quite unique: thin, smooth corallites colored in fuchsia with purple tips and white polyps. If you have the ability to obtain and grow this coral, it certainly doesn't disappoint…  So where in North America did the Red Dragon Acropora originate? From what we're told, this coral was imported from Bali to Reef Raft (Canada) back in the early 2000s and grown by several advanced aquarists in the greater Toronto Area. A piece of this coral was then sold to select coral retailers like Coral in the Reef and ReefFarmers before makings it's way down the pipeline into reef tanks across the US and beyond.

http://www.reefs.com/blog/2013/08/12/red-dragon-acropora-walindii-one-of-the-hottest-new-acroporas/
Adapting to artificial light and a closed system is believed to cause these types of corals some stress due to the metabolic shift and symbiotic algae (or zooxanthellae) adaptation that needs to occur for them to achieve proper nutrition.  The differences in plankton and microbial life population and density is thought to be the cause as is the actual difference in the light source.  The metabolic shift occurs slowly and if water quality is excellent, success with these deep-water corals can be attained.

Previous build:
mr.msalty
Grouper

YOU DIRTY DOG

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 02:38:57 PM »

All corals show differently in different tanks and change over time, lineage is kewl because then its easy to see the changes in a specific coral. There are no guarantees that most any coral especially acros, will turn out like its mother colony; there are far too many variables in flow and light and many children grow their own way. Copps is a great seller, he pulls tons of money out of his system more than a few times a year, his tanks are admirable and his stock is strong. Many people like names on their collection. It's nice seeing Mark having success with his tank the only time I got corals from him was just before one of his crashes and none of the corals faired very well in a tank that was growing anything. It's something we all go through, and the reason we worry about our tanks soo much.

I didn't see the prices it was a member thing; Unique's prices I find competative on Ora stuff with all the retailers. They do grow things out too. For example his voodoo stag can be three or more long with multiple tips, then he'll have some at twice the price grown out. Try asking Copps to grow out one of his corals for you for a few months.
kcstoker1
Amateur Reefers Anonymous
Grouper

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »

Let me know when you're ready to break a branch off that bad boy and trade for something.

Mark and I have a lot of the same pieces at this point, but there's probably something I've got that will do well in your tank that I haven't traded with him yet, lol.

It's great to see your tank coming along.  Keep up the good work.
Chessmanmark
HVRK Member
Moray Eel

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 06:06:45 PM »

Good price here comparably-
http://www.coralrevolution.com/le-sps-frags/

You can pick up the purple dragon while you're there as well.

Previous build:
mr.msalty
Grouper

YOU DIRTY DOG

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 11:23:01 AM »

I know DR was selling them for $50 at ncpars a couple weeks ago, someone else was selling nice large looking frags for $35. Like any hot coral that grows well it doesn't take long, basically by the time I get it, that the price becomes normal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: