Hudson Valley Reef Keepers
October 17, 2017, 01:26:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our forums.

Home   Homepage Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Air, Water & Ice
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wow! What happened to HVRK?  (Read 1386 times)
cambam1977
It just does not make sense not to learn something new everyday.
Trade Count: (0)
Grouper

Just another one of my hobbies!

« on: May 10, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »

It's been a while but I'm thinking of getting back in. Where'd all the refers go?

Put it out!  Put it out!
mets17127
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 05:27:57 AM »

We are here
mets17127
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 05:30:05 AM »

We get this a lot...the site is dead, where did everyone go, what happened?!
Honestly, you are one of the reefers that left.  You tell us what happened.
Chessmanmark
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+4)
Moray Eel

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 04:08:24 PM »

Hey Chris.  Let's just say the club has downsized lately.  There aren't too many around still running tanks.  There are a few hardcore members left like Chris, Benny and myself.  A few newcomers, a few lurkers, some veterans coming back to sell what's left, and some nano tanks.  But honestly the traffic to the site has dropped off. 

If you need some frags to seed your tank I've got some pieces, mostly SPS, but a few others as well.  What are you planning this time around?

A great many threats face reef environments.  An informed marine aquarist can be part of the solution, not a contributor to the problem.
Previous build:
http://hvreef.org/yabb/index.php?topic=9806.0
tony t
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+1)
Angler

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 07:40:54 PM »

I'm still here!  I remember a club meeting I had at my house , must have been over 20 members,

Seems like that the local scene has just lost interest,

Mark . Thank you so much for the skimmer, what a nice gift, I'm Hoping to get some new equipment to finish my new upgrade

26 reef, 120 salt water fish only, 220 fresh
mets17127
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 09:05:54 PM »

I see the volume a small shop like Absolute Corals moves each week, and Pete's and Petco turn a profit, so the reef activity is out there locally.  I just think some people are afraid to actually commit to joining the club.  Most others probably don't know it exists. 
Maybe we should put a sign up in our sponsors windows.  That would spark interest in the site when people walk into Bobby's or Pete's.  Maybe seeing if the sponsors want to throw members 10% off or something would grease the wheels too.
Of course, more members gives us more leverage when negotiating such deals, so it's a 2 way street.
I, personally, have gotten 2 close friends into the hobby and tout the club whenever I meet someone at a LFS.  Unfortunately, I don't think any of them are active on the site.
Lowlow23
Snail

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 10:35:52 AM »

I'm in Poughkeepsie and fairly new to reefing but I know Faul and Benny that's it it's getting boring lol anyway Benny if u see this text me I got new phone and lost ur # lolololol
Chessmanmark
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+4)
Moray Eel

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 10:18:29 PM »

I'm still here!  I remember a club meeting I had at my house , must have been over 20 members,

Seems like that the local scene has just lost interest,

Mark . Thank you so much for the skimmer, what a nice gift, I'm Hoping to get some new equipment to finish my new upgrade

I'm glad you put it to good use Tony.

A great many threats face reef environments.  An informed marine aquarist can be part of the solution, not a contributor to the problem.
Previous build:
http://hvreef.org/yabb/index.php?topic=9806.0
kcstoker1
Amateur Reefers Anonymous
Grouper

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 04:11:03 PM »

Good to see you, Chris.  I'm still around, but don't hit up the site much.  Send a PM, happy to catch up and help seed your tank if you're rebuilding. 
cambam1977
It just does not make sense not to learn something new everyday.
Grouper

Just another one of my hobbies!

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 10:43:06 AM »

I have a small fowlr right now. it's a bowfront with 3 fishies. trying to buy a house soon so I will definitely be getting a few tanks then. I'd love to see some of the old reefers again. do you do any meets anymore? Mark, I'm not ready for any sps right now. I wish I was. thank you for the offer though. I am looking for a few pieces of hearty lps though. something resilient to a humma humma though. which probably isn't much. if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. thanks.

Put it out!  Put it out!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: