Hudson Valley Reef Keepers
May 29, 2017, 09:15:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our forums.

Home   Homepage Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Air, Water & Ice
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Quarantine  (Read 1029 times)
MIKSSA
Trade Count: (0)
Shrimp

« on: August 20, 2016, 09:35:31 PM »

Just bought a queen angle from Petes..
I have him in a 30 gallon quarantine.
I saw him come in when Pete was acclimating him which was August 10th
The fish looks great and Pete said he put some (I believe it was quick cure) when he first got the fish as a just in case to make sure anything that may have been on the fish was knocked out..
So my question is how long do you think I need to keep the fish in quarantine? At this point he has been at Petes for 10 days...
mets17127
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 12:12:44 PM »

Depends why you are quarantining.  I personally do a tank transfer for about 10 days with prazipro, so I take care of ich and flukes. I hope the stress of the transfers triggers any other diseases to present themselves.  Ultimately, I still take a huge risk of introducing a host of other nastys by adding the fish to the DT so soon.  General rule of thumb is like a month.
Chessmanmark
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+4)
Moray Eel

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 09:15:07 PM »

I don't quarantine very long because of the resources and time it takes, however I like to make sure new fish are eating first and visually they look healthy.  A longer quarantine is better.  I also worry that in my tank a new fish will disappear before I get to enjoy them initially.  You have to weigh the risk to the fish you have now against the joy of adding a new fish.  For instance, I have a healthy PBT and I wouldn't risk adding a bunch of Chromis over the Tang.

A great many threats face reef environments.  An informed marine aquarist can be part of the solution, not a contributor to the problem.
Previous build:
http://hvreef.org/yabb/index.php?topic=9806.0
MIKSSA
Shrimp

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 09:34:59 PM »

The Queen looks healthy and she is eating pellets already.
As I mentioned I was at Petes the day it came in and I waited about 10 days to bring it home..
I have it in a qt but get concerned because obviously the conditions are not as good as my DT.
I have a Penguine 350 filter on the QT with brand new cartridges but no live rock.
I did not put any medication in the QT because Pete said they don't really do well with medication for long..
I am a paranoid freak when it comes to adding fish to my dt (I don't do it often which is why I have had the same fish pretty much for the last two years other the the failed PBT expirement.
I am so afraid of contracting ick to  my DT..
white trash
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+9)
Grouper

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 01:19:58 PM »

The Queen looks healthy and she is eating pellets already.
As I mentioned I was at Petes the day it came in and I waited about 10 days to bring it home..
I have it in a qt but get concerned because obviously the conditions are not as good as my DT.
I have a Penguine 350 filter on the QT with brand new cartridges but no live rock.
I did not put any medication in the QT because Pete said they don't really do well with medication for long..
I am a paranoid freak when it comes to adding fish to my dt (I don't do it often which is why I have had the same fish pretty much for the last two years other the the failed PBT expirement.
I am so afraid of contracting ick to  my DT..

If your biggest concern is ich, you can try doing your QT as a hyposalinity treatment, as long as you're committed to daily checks on the salinity and being patient with it. Or just keep the fish QT'ed long enough for the life cycle of the ich to create the typical tell-tale signs, and if they don't pop up, put it into the display.
Chessmanmark
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+4)
Moray Eel

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 02:09:39 PM »

Depending on the size of this angel I would be concerned about the stress caused in a tight space.  With larger fish I reduce the time in QT.  This isn't recommended, but I prefer to get my fish swimming around and eating.  I also soak all my foods in silicon and occasionally add garlic as well.

That a majestic animal.  Good luck with it.

A great many threats face reef environments.  An informed marine aquarist can be part of the solution, not a contributor to the problem.
Previous build:
http://hvreef.org/yabb/index.php?topic=9806.0
MIKSSA
Shrimp

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 09:25:42 PM »

He has been eating OSI pellets which has garlic in it.
Hes not really into any of the dried seaweed..
I feel like hes fine to put in MY DT but still afraid.
Like I said Pete got him in on the 10th and its now the 24th
I will probably give in and add him to my DT by the weekend as I agree I am concerned about stressing him out in the QT
MIKSSA
Shrimp

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 06:38:55 AM »

I noticed these white blotches on his fin but its not ick..
I also cannot remember if he had them all along or not.
He has been going after his reflection pretty aggressive since I got him and it almost looks like he just hit it the wrong way.
Does it look like I have anything to worry about?

* IMG_1592.JPG (118.18 KB, 640x480 - viewed 76 times.)
sponge
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+1)
Angelfish

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 10:37:24 AM »

I agree with the garlic . My fish have been doing better since I started using it . I've been adding it to my food before I feed the tank . All the fish come out to eat .It has helped with the health of fish I have . I would definitely use the garlic . I'm glad Hutnik shared that little bit of info with me . Thanks Irene !
MIKSSA
Shrimp

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 08:18:39 PM »

I wound up having to put the the Queen in early since I had an amonia spike in my quarantine..I think that was what was causing him to look bad..
I did a water change and it was still not any better..
I wound up getting a Natural dip from Petco (Emergency) which was supposed to get rid of any parasites etc..
The queen is doing great..

* IMG_1611.JPG (115.75 KB, 640x480 - viewed 71 times.)

* IMG_1610.JPG (110.21 KB, 640x480 - viewed 69 times.)
white trash
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+9)
Grouper

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 12:35:24 PM »

That's a gorgeous fish. QT can be tough if you don't have some established filtration and/or ammolock at the ready. Hope it all works out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: