Hudson Valley Reef Keepers
October 22, 2017, 03:40:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our forums.

Home   Homepage Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Cultivated Reef
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Moving (back) to the area  (Read 1829 times)
icy1155
Trade Count: (0)
Copepod

« on: September 09, 2016, 09:41:04 AM »

Hello all,
After doing some looking it seems like you guys are the closest active club to me, so I figured if introduce myself. I originally grew up in the foothills of the Adirondacks and moved away for college, which is where I got into reef keeping. Over the past 10+ years we have lived in and been active in the clubs of Delaware, SW Florida and Mass. We are moving back to the general area, about 40 min west of Albany for now, and hopefully should be more or less done moving.

For tanks, I currently have a 80g rimless that is sps dominant and a 7.5g that houses a bunch of rock anemones that we collected while living in Florida. The plan is once the wide and I build our house I get to build my (very large) dream tank, but the 80g has to do until then.

Anyways, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I've been doing this a while now and have experience with a lot of different things. Smiley
Chessmanmark
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+4)
Moray Eel

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 07:35:26 PM »

Welcome to HVRK.  Come on in to the forum and start a thread telling us more about your tanks.  Lots of pictures will be appreciated.

A great many threats face reef environments.  An informed marine aquarist can be part of the solution, not a contributor to the problem.
Previous build:
http://hvreef.org/yabb/index.php?topic=9806.0
icy1155
Copepod

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 09:07:33 PM »

Here is a pic of the 80g

* IMAG0123_1.jpg (441.76 KB, 2686x1323 - viewed 139 times.)
white trash
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+9)
Grouper

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 05:13:54 PM »

If you're near Albany you may also want to check out CDMAS - capital district marine aquarium society.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chessmanmark
HVRK Member
Moray Eel

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 08:24:28 PM »

Tank looks great, nice and clean.  I love the rimless look.

A great many threats face reef environments.  An informed marine aquarist can be part of the solution, not a contributor to the problem.
Previous build:
sponge
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+1)
Angelfish

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 09:19:38 PM »

Welcome Glad that you found us. You have a nice looking tank . When you settle in the new place ; what size tank did you want to set up ?
icy1155
Copepod

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 07:00:32 PM »

If you're near Albany you may also want to check out CDMAS - capital district marine aquarium society.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've looked at their forum and it looks pretty dead. Seems like there is only one person that posts at all over there.
icy1155
Copepod

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 07:06:21 PM »

Welcome Glad that you found us. You have a nice looking tank . When you settle in the new place ; what size tank did you want to set up ?

Well, since our will be our last tank ever my wife key me build what I want. The current plan is a 6'x6'x3' cube. Going to build it myself as a plywood and epoxy.
Chessmanmark
HVRK Member
Moray Eel

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 11:28:20 AM »

Those dimensions sound like a jacuzzi.  How many viewing panels?

Previous build:
white trash
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+9)
Grouper

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 04:06:13 PM »

I never heard of a plywood tank before, this sent me down a rabbit hole on YouTube of a 3 part series of a guy building one. Interesting idea.

That is a massive cube, awesome footprint. What fish are you planning? That's probably a great tank for an Achilles.
sponge
HVRK Member
Angelfish

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 02:32:59 PM »

I hope you will take some pictures along the way on this impressive size tank . You can post them here if you like .

tony t
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 07:13:45 PM »

I like your 80 gallon tank you have now. I'm going to set one up with that as inspiration. Good luck with the huge build.

26 reef, 120 salt water fish only, 220 fresh
icy1155
Copepod

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 10:15:07 PM »

Those dimensions sound like a jacuzzi.  How many viewing panels?

Current plan is for three. One in the bedroom and a corner in the living room that has two panels.
icy1155
Copepod

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 10:16:39 PM »

I hope you will take some pictures along the way on this impressive size tank . You can post them here if you like .

Don't worry, I will. Right now it's just in the planning stages, but I have it pretty well nailed down other than a few equipment choices.
icy1155
Copepod

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 10:17:35 PM »

I like your 80 gallon tank you have now. I'm going to set one up with that as inspiration. Good luck with the huge build.

Thanks for the compliment. Let me know if you have any questions.
icy1155
Copepod

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 10:26:31 PM »

I never heard of a plywood tank before, this sent me down a rabbit hole on YouTube of a 3 part series of a guy building one. Interesting idea.

That is a massive cube, awesome footprint. What fish are you planning? That's probably a great tank for an Achilles.

Yeah, the plywood build will not only be a bit cheaper, but it will be a lot easier to build a tank that size in the house than try to move one in.

For a fish list, we are planning on trying to have pairs or harems of about everything. Not sure if I want powder blue tangs or Achilles.  I also plan on flasher wrasses,  blue eye cardinals, lemonpeel and potters angels, Midas blennies, a harem of pink skunk clowns and copper band butterflies for sure. If I can swing it I would love ribbon eels and one I get some experience with them the wife would like to try some lookdowns if I think they will work.

Also on the dream list is a gigas clam. I really love clams and want to have at least one of each species.
Chessmanmark
HVRK Member
Moray Eel

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »

Very ambitious.  That sounds like it is going to be an incredible display.

There was a very large reef off of exit 8 on 684 a few years back.  One of our members, Frank, maintained it for a while and invited me over to see it. 
The tank was a wall divider between the boss of the company and his secretary.  Pete, another member, had a 500 gallon tank, but the tank Frank
maintained was about 8 times bigger.  It didn't feel like you were looking in a tank.  When a tank is the size of a room it feels like a corner of the
ocean is right in front of you and you've been transported through another dimension, especially when there is more water than reef.

Previous build:
mets17127
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 08:24:10 AM »

When you get started, host a meeting.  That way you get free labor and advice
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: