Hudson Valley Reef Keepers
July 26, 2017, 10:33:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our forums.

Home   Homepage Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Air, Water & Ice
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: I'm BACK!  (Read 748 times)
wagerja
The DON!
Trade Count: (0)
Moray Eel

What R you lookin At!

« on: April 06, 2017, 04:08:06 PM »

Sort of...

I'm currently setting up a 65g FW tank for the kids in the new house... but in that process I started thinking about setting up something for myself.  I'm currently think a custom tank for African Cichlids like I kept pre HVRK... but... seeing the old pics of my 120 that Chessmanmark posted I'm wondering if a SPS reef of a manageable size isn't a better idea.

anyway I just wanted to stop in a say hi to my old friends...  Dancin'
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 04:55:05 PM by wagerja » Logged

J

"sometimes that squeaky wheel is a great thing, and other times it's just annoying"
mets17127
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 09:29:08 PM »

A reef is ALWAYS a better idea
white trash
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+9)
Grouper

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:30:19 AM »

I really loved my old cichlid tank, a 75g full of colorful mbuna, outrageously simple to maintain, very active fish. That said, I've downsized my reef to a 40B, no sump, no skimmer, and even took off my reactor, and I really enjoy it. Things grow slow, and I pull algae every weekend with my water change, but keeping it simple keeps it enjoyable for me. If you can be happy without going deep into all the bells and whistles, and put your money into a quality light, a small SPS reef is absolutely manageable. The real question is, can you contain yourself and keep it manageable without going off the deep end once your back in?  cheeky
mets17127
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »

Vodka dosing really manageable, especially on a small tank to keep that algae down
wagerja
The DON!
Moray Eel

What R you lookin At!

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 12:34:53 PM »

well what I'm thinking right now is that I have a 5'-6" long section of bare wall in my down stairs hallway... this hallway is 6'-2" wide so a ~5' long by 16" wide tank would fit there without too much interruption of walking flow...

So whether it is an SPS reef or AC the tank will be custom and nearly identical in design. (if reef, I'm going to try to incorporate a custom integral wave box)

5ft long x16" wide x22" tall with an overflow on one end because I need/want to keep it sucked tight to the wall.  basically making it a custom ~90g long.

I'll probably find a glass shop that can supply the cut panes and build it myself.

If I set it up as ACs it will probably be a species tank of something easy to breed like Kenyi.  I'd put 5 to 10 of them in there and let them do their thing...
Pros: I already have a bunch of dry reef rock, and although I haven't tested it yeah I'm pretty sure our well water is nearly perfect for ACs and I have access into the basement at this location for a continuous water change set-up, so maintenance would literally be feed the fish, clean the glass and clean filter once a month.  lighting would be cheaper.  set-up and maintenance cost would be lower, but not drastically so as you will see in a minute.
Cons: it's not a reef tank!

If I set it up as a Reef it will be SPS only with something like 5-10 Chalk Bass, Firefish or Blue/Green Chromis... just so there is something moving around to look at and have an excuse to feed the tank.  set-up type would be reef crest with a small open area to the front and low 8 to12 inches high flat topped LR structure to mount frags to.
Pros: It's a Reef Tank!  WOOT!  I still have a bunch of reef equipment, including but not limited to, skimmers, return pump, big *** sump, heaters, Tunze (wavebox!) CA reactor, bio bead reactor and lights.  also have about twice as much dead live rock as would be needed for this set-up.  and again I have access to plumb everything into the basement, can anyone say Sump Room?  no more dealing with the cramped confines, heat and sounds of in-stand filtration.  while I have a bunch of MHs laying around, I think I would go with a DIY LED setting to keep heat and running costs down.  (I have some non-operable MH ballast cases made of finned AL  Wink )

Cons: it will definitely cost more to set-up and run... and take more time to maintain.... but with the set-up I'm envisioning the time suck would be much less than any other reef tank I've ever had.

Crazzzy help me  I think I've gone off the deep end and there may be no pulling me back.

J

"sometimes that squeaky wheel is a great thing, and other times it's just annoying"
white trash
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+9)
Grouper

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 06:29:10 PM »

If you go cichlids, take a look at demasoni, small, colors that pop, easy to breed, no color difference between male and female. But they are really aggressive toward each other, so buy 10 to end up with 5. I used to run my cichlid tank on weekly water changes, straight from the tap, town of poughkeepsie water, with no issues. I just dropped in a dechlorinator when I did the changes. Never had a problem, never tested the parameters for pH, etc.

For the reef, I mean, you still have the bells and whistles, and a dedicated sump room, if I had a sump room I may still have my 120.
taz_12777
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+1)
Trigger

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 11:42:39 PM »

Go for the reef. I've got a 120 with a bunch of extra's I could sell (back) to you.

2013 President of HVRK
2012 President of HVRK
2011 President of HVRK
2009 Membership Director of HVRK
mets17127
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 08:23:12 AM »

The set up cost seems minimal compared to FW, except salt and livestock.  You have everything!  I'm a proponent of Chinese LEDs.   You can get app controlled ones or easily wire cheaper units to a controller.
I have a 125 mixed with only a small red birds nest as SPS but with half the lights running at 60%
wagerja
The DON!
Moray Eel

What R you lookin At!

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 07:10:41 PM »

For the kids FW tank I'm settling up I'm using a 16.4ft RGBW LED STRIP cut into 3ft lengths and reconnected with jumpers...  it's a nice light and could possibly be used of low light planted tank... but IDK if it would do anything for corals...  what's your DYI LED setup?

J

mets17127
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 08:09:10 PM »

I got mine probably 10 months ago, so the bells and whistles, as well as price, have probably changed.  I have Mars aqua x 3.  Think it was like $240 for all 3. My LPS and zoas are thriving.  I bought a wire to daisy chain them together and connect them to my apex VDM module but haven't gotten around to it cuz I'd like to do it right and haven't had the time.  As a result, I only ever keep the bluest channel on at about 60%.  My fish look lame but the coral obviously pops.
Evergrow made a similar 120 watt box with wifi capability and a smart phone app for controllable simulations.  Ramping is all I cared about, so I'll eventually accomplish that with my wire.
I guess the selling point for these boxes is the ease with which one can disassemble a box and change out leds.  I've read that people still consider them to have too many whites and yellows, as they have no bearing in coral photosynthesis, so people replace them with purples and uv and crazy colors.
mr.msalty
Grouper

YOU DIRTY DOG

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 10:56:12 PM »

Hi Jay! NIce to see you around and well!
wagerja
The DON!
Moray Eel

What R you lookin At!

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 09:58:06 AM »

Go for the reef. I've got a 120 with a bunch of extra's I could sell (back) to you.

hey how have you been?

you still have that tank?  are you still using it?  I don't have the room to set it up but it would be cool to see it is still being used.

J

wagerja
The DON!
Moray Eel

What R you lookin At!

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »

Hi, how have you been?

J

taz_12777
HVRK Member
Trigger

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 11:26:48 PM »

hey how have you been?

you still have that tank?  are you still using it?  I don't have the room to set it up but it would be cool to see it is still being used.

Hey Bud,

Things are good. Still have the tank, it is still running, not as nice as it used to be but still chugging along. have only 3 fish in it. sorta looking to sell it and get out of the hobby.

2013 President of HVRK
2012 President of HVRK
2011 President of HVRK
mr.msalty
Grouper

YOU DIRTY DOG

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 10:04:36 PM »

Hi, how have you been?

I have been well, thank you. My kids are getting big and taking a lot of time. You and Marisol have added to your family? I am doing the shoal of blue green damsels, nine in all now, and they are the best $4 each flash I have ever had! Funny how we sometimes think alike. Wish I had the room for a carpet but 4' is a wee bit shy of space for corals too; kids need clowns and anemones.
wagerja
The DON!
Moray Eel

What R you lookin At!

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 09:35:03 PM »

I finished up the aquascape on the kids tank...

* IMG_0429.JPG (816.65 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 39 times.)

J

wagerja
The DON!
Moray Eel

What R you lookin At!

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »

It's still a little cloudy...

J

taz_12777
HVRK Member
Trigger

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 11:12:13 PM »

Looking good so far.

2013 President of HVRK
2012 President of HVRK
2011 President of HVRK
mr.msalty
Grouper

YOU DIRTY DOG

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 10:07:09 PM »

I hate to tell you this but, chromis can't live in that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: