Hudson Valley Reef Keepers
October 17, 2017, 01:31:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our forums.

Home   Homepage Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Cultivated Reef
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 40B  (Read 110 times)
white trash
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+9)
Grouper

40B
« on: September 14, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »

I simplified to a no-frills tank awhile back. I tried adding a phosban reactor and couldn't stand it, such a pain to change the media. I switched to a BRS reactor, and I couldn't stop it from leaking, so I just got rid of the concept altogether. So I have a bit of an algae farm now, but I'm happier with the lower maintenance, I just do once a week WCs and manual removal. I've noticed over time that the cleanest tank I ever had started with established wild collected rock. Every tank since has been base rock. Whenever I do a tank with new rock again, I'm ordering stuff from the ocean, maybe the Tampa Bay Saltwater guy that seeds/farms rock in the ocean. I only have two fish, a pair of clowns. My male disappeared suddenly, so I picked up a snowflake at Petco a week ago, instant change in the female's behavior. She stopped hiding in the algae constantly and now swims in the open and eats more.

This is possibly the slowest growing tank I've had. My green slimer has been basing for at least one year, and finally in the past couple of weeks starting going vertical. Probably going to start kalk on the ATO to try and help out a bit, but after my last WC my Alk was 9, my CA was 400, so it really isn't bad. Likely just more due to dirty water.

For some scale, the duncan on the left side has about 50 heads and about the size of a softball when it opens up. There are definitely more corals that an FTS can pick up. A decent Favia, a couple SPS, and some Sunny D zoas.

mets17127
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (0)
Angler

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 07:18:34 AM »

You know I've tried everything for algae.  I'd recommend a tuxedo urchin and vodka dosing. 
My friend that bought your 120 had a 20g prior...was totally covered in algae.  I think there is something to smaller tanks and how quick the undesirables build up.
mets17127
HVRK Member
Angler

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:40:12 AM »

My other tip is to only leave the blue lights on...not because of wavelength or anything, but because everything looks better under actinics!
cambam1977
It just does not make sense not to learn something new everyday.
Grouper

Just another one of my hobbies!

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »

I see some sps in there. I don't agree about the lighting. I recommend at least 8 hours of full spectrum. as for the algae. I recommend some extra water changes. at least 20%, siphon-scrubbing, some uv, and crossed-fingers. when it gets to that extent, it is so hard to deal with. best wishes.

Put it out!  Put it out!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: