Hudson Valley Reef Keepers
October 17, 2017, 01:24:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to our forums.

Home   Homepage Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Air, Water & Ice
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Time to move forum.  (Read 42 times)
nine9d
Trigger
Trade Count: (+6)
Moray Eel

Member of ASC. (Acro Snob Club!)

« on: October 12, 2017, 12:25:34 PM »

Hey all,
Long time no chat. As you may or may not know, I have still been here behind the scenes maintaining the website/forum. Doing backups, banning fake accounts, moving posts, cleaning things up, etc... The forum that we are on hasn't been updated since 2015. This is due to the company that has not put out any updates since then. It runs on an outdated version of .php and many companies/servers are no longer supporting it, which brings us to today. The company that hosts us is doing away with the older version of .php and we are forced to move the site to another location. I cannot find another host who is willing to host the site being it is so old, so therefore, I have been looking into more stable and better opportunities for the club.

With doing some research, I noticed that our website only has about 15 members visit in the last 30 days, 24 total in the last 2 months, and 29 total in the last 3 months that has been active on the website. It has been like this for some time now as I go back in the logs. So to attempt to find another forum solution, and pay out the wazoo, I think the best fit for the club at this time is to move it over to a larger forum that supports clubs, like Reef 2 Reef. R2R (Reef 2 Reef) is a huge, friendly forum with many benefits and perks to clubs whereas the club does not incur any expense. They have free raffles, and drawings all the time and a great community over there. I had reached out to their admins and they would be happy to set us up with a club forum.

While this has been home for many of us for such a long time, I think it benefits us to have more exposure in a much larger forum at this time. Either way you look at it, we are sort of being forced to move anyhow being the forum software is not up to date since a couple of years. I will take a backup of everything and hold it indefinitely, in the hopes of finding a new place in the future. We would be moving the forum by November 1st, and this one will end on November 2nd or 3rd. Any questions or concerns, please post them here.

Thanks all,
Ross

I love the smell of fresh acro's! Really.
white trash
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+9)
Grouper

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 06:25:17 PM »

Will there be a redirect for a short while after to send people to the R2R local clubs section?
nine9d
Trigger
Moray Eel

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 10:11:52 AM »

Will there be a redirect for a short while after to send people to the R2R local clubs section?

Yup. I plan to hold onto the url just in case things change. I will forward from the forum and hvreef.org directly.

taz_12777
HVRK Member
Trade Count: (+1)
Trigger

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 10:13:57 PM »

Will any of the old forums move or will it be a complete new start?

2013 President of HVRK
2012 President of HVRK
2011 President of HVRK
2009 Membership Director of HVRK
nine9d
Trigger
Moray Eel

« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:57:43 AM »

New start, being we won't be running any software, we are not actually moving, but starting from square 1.

I will take a backup of what we have preexisting so there's that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: